Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Savage?! Part 2

Okay, I know I just did one, but I think that the letter really deserved it's own poem. So here it is, my poem:

Just a Savage

Why do you do this White Man
What do you gain from it
Why do you think the world is yours
When you "buy" the world around us,
What do you get from it
What is your purpose
And when you are done here,
What would you do then
Or perhaps I don't understand
Perhaps I'm just a Savage

Why don't you care White Man
Do you not hear the world around you,
The very world you conquer
Can you not hear the leaves rusting,
The whistling wind in the whippoorwill
Does every beast matter to you,
Do you find yourself higher than them
Is the buffalo just a "creature" to you,
Without feelings or a soul
Maybe you just don't try to listen
Or perhaps I don't understand
Perhaps I'm just a Savage

When will you learn White Man
This world is to be loved,
To be nurtured
It was given to all of us:
The beasts, the trees, the man
So treat the world not as land,
But as something very much alive
Don't cut trees so you can make your iron horses
When your cities are everywhere,
And you own the world,
What will the cost have been
Will you be able to hear or breath
Will there be anywhere to escape to
Will there be a world left to live in
Or perhaps the White Man doesn't understand
Are we truly the ones who are Savages

12 comments:

Rocki Adams said...

Josh, you obviously inherited your talent from your fabulous mom, but in a different arena.

Your words still echo within me, as do all of your poems, thoughts and writings. You will go far my man and you are simply too awesome for words!

Anonymous said...

Oh Josh, this is just beautiful! You paid a wonderful tribute to the piece written by Chief Seattle yet in your own wonderful way. I'm eternally proud to be your mom!

Laurie Roskam said...

Dear Josh,
This is magnificent! Simply beautiful. I am so thankful that you got to hear Chief Seattle's words. I really feel proud to know you. If you don't mind, I'd like to do a feature about your blog on my website. Make sure it's okay with MommaManamoon first and let me know. Way to go buddy! Your blogging friend, Laurie B.

Laurie Roskam said...

Hi Josh, You've won an award! Please see my post for today! You deserve it! Your bloggin' bud, Laurie B.

Angie Kelly Designs said...

Wow Joshie ~ You never cease to amaze me!! I'm proud to know you my small friend!! ♥

Anonymous said...

Mom approves of the feature - thanks Laurie!♥

Anonymous said...

What a writer. I just can't believe the quality and caliber of your writing. Absolutely amazing and wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Dear god what a writer. You never stop amazing me. Your style and use of the language is amazing.

Laurie Roskam said...

AMEN D!

Sweets 'N Greets said...

Beautiful, Josh! You never seize to amaze me, young man ;-) I always enjoy reading what you write.

Sweets 'N Greets said...

OH DARN!!!! I didn't see your pole until it was too late :-( So, though I cannot click on it...I vote for a brighter future!

Sweets 'N Greets said...

Hey Buttercup...when you get a chance, swing by my blog and see what I left for you ;-)